Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hanauma Bay


The sun and rain played havoc with my first painting on the Hawaiian shore. I could not find more than ten minutes in the bright sun before fifteen minutes of rain would pour down. This went on back and forth for some four hours. I ran in and out of a cave in the rocks behind me carrying my easel with the canvas. The wind was howling. It was a hell of a day of painting It wasn't suppose to be like this. So this gouache is the end result. A formless rendering of Hanauma Bay. Ambivalent in light and value. It would set the tone for some ten more gouaches in Hawaii that would follow. All of them very flat in perspective and color. But I like them. They capture something that only the island could deliver. My own intentions denied by the circumstance of the world around me. Inherently Hawaiian.

No comments:

Post a Comment